Friday, November 28, 2008

Nature and Man

Dear Mr. Echoes,
From my apartment I hear wind. The room is small and I am grateful for the wooden stairs that lead into it from the harsh outdoors. I would not tolerate the sound of an elevator ringing in my brain. It would create incohesion, such a blatant contradiction between the world I’ve invested myself in and the one I tiptoe around to avoid depression. It is a constant battle, reframing the human world to more fully understand the essence of humanity.
I find myself observing the water, seeking out the reflections of Juneau as if I were the fish, believing if I step outside of myself and attempt to observe from their world I might understand this story. I tried to explain my human perspective to Odessa. When she did not understand she assumed there were quintessential differences between human thought and animal thought. I might agree. What man calls order, Mother Nature knows as destruction. Where man sees chaos, Mother Natures sees potential. We seek the same thing, but the earth is torn between two masters, one wildly more successful at symbiosis than the other.
Odessa… sweet Odessa… could not see how our worlds were at odds. She sighted the shipwreck, a meeting of our metaphorical minds. The world of man met the world of nature, Odessa claimed, and a new world emerged as a compromise. Men died so anemones might live! As she was sure that, from time to time, on land anemones died so that men might live. Certainly humans could comprehend that!
I did not have the heart to tell her that men would not see justice in dying for invertebrates. I don’t believe it would have been helpful- for either of us.
Imagine Reflections. You’re insight into the movement of water has proved helpful before. Any magic up that sleeve of yours Oliver?


Best,
Sebastian

No comments: